International travel

The Mighty Kauri

Images by RJM
Kauri spirit

There are so many little details to share about my New Zealand adventure, and I don’t want to bore you with everything. (Besides, I hope these posts inspire you to see New Zealand for yourself!)

However, I must talk a little about the trees that were so important to the Maori peoples, not only for their own construction but also for their commence. I’ve already written about my first encounter with the magnificent Kauri, and the historical significance of these giants.

Images by RJM
The Kauri Museum, Matakohe, NZ

We had an opportunity to visit to the Kauri Museum in Matakohe, as we traveled back to Auckland after our visit to the Bay of Islands. I had done my research (via TripAdvisor) and found that the locals (as well as some tourists) highly recommended this museum. So I made sure it was part of my itinerary, and I was not disappointed.

First important detail: The museum is wheelchair accessible. As the guide map showed, wheelchairs can enter the museum via the gift shop area. The aisles are wide, and ramps were available as needed.

Images by RJM
Wide aisles …
Images by RJM
… and ramps.

As I wandered there were a couple of places that gave me pause: “How would Carrieanna get up here?” And then I found the lift, and my concerns were likewise lifted.

Images by RJM
A lift

Images by RJM

We enjoyed a 45-minute tour of the highlights of the museum. Our guide, Dennise, told us that Kauri Museum is a self-funded museum, and very well supported by the local community; there are 100 volunteers to assist the 35 paid staff members.

Images by RJM

She went on to talk about the kauri tree, and I took many notes. Per my journal:

“The hardest of the ‘softwood’ pines, it is good for furniture, boats and other uses because it is very flexible, it floats, and it doesn’t warp under changes in temperature. The ‘gum’ or sap of the kauri was used for lacquer for, among other uses, to finish musical instruments. Some of the more beautiful pieces [of gum] were polished and made into jewelry and other pieces of art.

Images by RJM
Kiwi made of kauri gum

“Although 96% of the kauri forests have been chopped down and used, the remaining 4% is under conservation, and it is being replanted. (It’s slow-growing, and therefore long process.)

New Zealand, Feb. 2013

Sculpture in Ancient Swamp Kauri R

“Over many centuries, and through natural disasters, some of the kauri growing in swamp areas fell and were buried in the swamp. Our guide told us that forest upon forest is buried; there’s not an unlimited amount of trees thus preserved, but there are a lot in the Northland.

Images by RJM
Swamp root

Images by RJM

“The kauri also grows in Australia, the Philippines, and Malaysia, but none is as good as that grown in New Zealand.

We saw many examples of the furniture, boats, stairway rails and other items made from this beautiful tree.”

Images by RJM
Volunteers Hall

The locals were right. The Kauri Museum is worth visiting, and you’ll probably want to spend a few hours there!

And as an added bonus, across the street is the Pioneer Church, This structure, built in 1867 with kauri timber, served as a school, community building and non-denominational church. (And probably had a 50-person seating capacity.)

Images by RJM
Pioneer Church
Matakohe, North Island, NZ
Images by RJM
Churchyard behind Pioneer Church

By Jeri Murphy

Traveler, writer, photographer, former wedding officiant, mother, friend, explorer and new Texian ... that's just a little about me!

2 replies on “The Mighty Kauri”

Neat posting. Your writing and photos made me want to visit. In a sense, I guess I did visit, thanks to you.
Ted Hess


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.